Afrika, Vuselela Ulimi Lwebele! Africa, Revive The Mother Tongue!
In my talk I intend to present my material under five headings:
1. My own story of becoming a polyglot – speaking more than 10 languages.
2. The post-1994 linguistic reality in South Africa
Here I intend to scetch the linguistic reality that unfolded after the 1994 democratic elections in South Africa, and how it followed very much the same pattern of other post-colonial African country’s.
3. Introducing the linguistic richness of our country
Under this heading I plan to lift the veil on the linguistic treasures and richness of South Africa’s languages in particular.
4. Afrika, vuselela ulimi lwebele! / Africa, revive the mother tongue!
Under this heading I intend to issue a direct challenge to the leaders and intellectuals of my continent to revive the mother tongue, and not to be ashamed of our vernacular languages.
5. My invitation to fellow polyglots and language students
I would like to conclude my address with an invitation to all present to come and discover, the linguistic beauty and depth of isintu / african languages.